Is any place on Earth as enchanting, as spectacular, as Cape Town? No wonder the world regularly votes it one of the world’s most beautiful cities, set at the tip of a green and historically fascinating province.
Cape Town has it all – a fascinating mix of up-to-the-minute vibrancy, memorable history and culture, and spectacular natural beauty – all rubbing shoulders under the iconic magic of Table Mountain. The architecture alone is notable: Cape Malay, centuries-old Dutch and British, sleek modern skyscrapers, 21st century apartments and office buildings. Imbibe the timeless wonder of the ‘Mother City’ and the bustle of flower sellers, buskers and craft markets.
Close at hand are the Houses of Parliament. So too is the sensational Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, the lively happening centre of the city, with its boutiques, its fun and activities, the Two Oceans Aquarium, and countless great restaurants, from which you can watch the coming and going of the finest ships, cruise liners and ultra-luxurious yachts from every part of the world.
An easy boat ride from Cape Town is the famous Robben Island, with the one-time prison cell of the universally beloved former President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela.
The Western Cape is an extravaganza of experiences: whale watching at Hermanus, quiet strolls through the beautiful botanic gardens of Kirstenbosch, wine tasting at any of the legendary wine estates. If you’re reaching for the stars, visit the sleepy Karoo village of Sutherland, with its scintillating, starry night sky and its 11 world class telescopes.
Take a break! Take time out with the sun-worshippers on the magnificent beaches of Clifton, Llandudno or Camps Bay, followed by a chilled sundowner cocktail at a classy beachside pub or lounge. There’s no end to the charm of the Cape lifestyle.
Can't Be Missed - Western Cape
- Take the aerial route on a cable car to the top of Table Mountain, for unimaginable, panoramic views of Cape Town.
- Recapture something of the kaleidoscopic history of South Africa in the many museums: Bo Kaap, District Six Museum, Groot Constantia and the Military Museum.
- Don’t miss the penguin colony at Boulders.
- Enjoy the incomparable beauty of the winelands tour through Constantia, Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl.
- Take a ferry to the famous Robben Island.
- Visit the Castle of Good Hope the pentagonal fort with its moats and bastions, originally built to defend the Dutch settlement.
- Hear the ‘noon day gun’, fired daily from the top of Signal Hill.