What to Expect on a Safari
A TYPICAL DAY ON SAFARI
- Start the day with an early morning tea-or-coffee wake-up (between 05h00 and 06h00 depending on the season), then meet in the central area for a light meal of cereal, fruit, biscuits and juice.
- Set off on your game viewing activity, with a short stop in the wilderness for a snack and coffee.
- Return to camp at about 10h30 for a hearty brunch at 11h00. Take the afternoon off for a siesta or a dip in the pool. Afternoon tea is served at around 15h30, followed by the option of a late afternoon game-viewing experience. Stop for sundowners and snacks, before returning to the camp in time for a three-course dinner at 20h00.(This is a guide only and varies from camp to camp)
WHAT TO PACK FOR YOUR SAFARI
- Informal dress is recommended. Neutral colours are best.
- Windbreaker or warm jacket for winter and night safaris.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Swimming costume.
- Binoculars, camera and video camera, chargers and memory devices.
- Sunhats and sunglasses.
- Sunscreen and lip balm.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT?
Both the winter and summer months have their benefits.
- Winter (May to August) - the foliage is less dense and the game more visible as they seek out the scattered waterholes.
- Summer (September to April) - the animals have their young, the vegetation is appealingly lush and the late afternoon African storms are spectacular.
SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL PARKS (SANPARKS) - LEADERS IN THE WORLD OF CONSERVATIONSouth African National Parks, (SANPARKS), manages a system of parks which represents the indigenous fauna, flora, landscapes and associated cultural heritage of the country. Most of the national parks have overnight tourist facilities, with an unrivalled variety of accommodation in arid, coastal, mountain and bushveld habitats.
National parks offer visitors an unparalleled diversity of adventure tourism opportunities including game viewing, bush walks, canoeing and exposure to cultural and historical experiences.
The National parks are: Groenkloof, Kruger, Table Mountain, Marakele, Golden Gate, Camdeboo, Mountain Zebra, Addo Elephant, Garden Route National Park (Tsitsikamma, Knysna and Wilderness), Bontebok, Agulhas, West Coast, Karoo, Namaqua, |ai-|ais/richtersveld, Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mapungubwe, Tankwa Karoo and Mokala.
Thompsons Africa is committed to supporting our heritage, our national parks, and when booking any of the famous SANPARKS through us, we ensure a hassle-free process and the best rate./p>